Dips are such easy and versatile appetisers. They make great additions to charcuterie boards or meze platters and are excellent picnic companions.
Stray from the path of standard cold dips to discover a world of warm dips that can be so much more than a simple appetiser.
You Might Also Like: We’ve got loads more delicious picnic dip recipes here, including both hot & cold dips for every season.
Broccoli is at its best during the winter months so we are favouring this broccoli cheese dip recipe for our fall picnics and winter alfresco adventures. Being a warm dip, it makes a perfect appetiser or addition to a picnic finger food menu for the cooler months.
How to Serve Baked Broccoli Dip
It is best to serve this dip warm, although, if thinned a little with cream, it does well at room temperature.
Serve with crusty bread, pita bread, crackers or raw vegetable batons. A dip like this can also make a hearty addition to platter-style meals such as a mezze, or charcuterie board – the flavours work well with smoked meats, olives and stronger cheeses. It can also make a nice addition to a winter wine and cheese picnic.
- The basis of this recipe could lend itself to many vegetable variations such as spinach, kale or even mushroom.
- If you don’t like mozzarella or want a different flavour and lighter finish, feel free to switch out with something like feta instead.
- If you want a thinner dip, add a dash of heavy cream to the mix at the end.
Warm Broccoli Cheese Dip Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 broccoli heads
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until onion is translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Chop broccoli into florets. Blanch them in boiling water until tender. You can also cook it in the microwave: place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe container with a lid and ¼ of water. Put it in the microwave for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Once broccoli is tender, roughly mince it with a knife. Aim for consistency for a more uniform dip texture. You can also use a food processor; you are aiming for a rice consistency – don’t over blend.
- Add cream cheese to the onion and garlic mix in the skillet and stir to combine.
- Then add parmesan and mozzarella cheese and mix. (If the skillet has cooled too much, you may need to place it over medium heat to soften the cream cheese).
- Finally, add the chopped broccoli and combine well.
- Place the batter into a baking tray. Optional: add extra mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 ℉ | 190℃ or until the edges are golden and cream cheese starts to bubble.
- Serve warm with some fresh bread, crackers, or veggie sticks.
- A very simple and versatile dip; feel free to use different cheese varieties or for a thinner dip consistency, add some heavy cream.
- This dip is better when warm as the cheese will be melted and smooth. If you have leftovers, you can reheat it in the oven or a microwave-safe dish.
- If transporting the broccoli cheese dip to a picnic, place it in a thermal food container to keep it warm. You can give the dip a quick heat in the microwave before packing your picnic.