It doesn’t have to be Christmas to enjoy this deliciously moist, creamy and fragrant Gingerbread cake with cream cheese frosting.
A really easy gingerbread cake recipe, it is a lovely seasonal addition to your fall picnic dessert repertoire and of course, it makes a deliciously comforting winter picnic sweet treat. The gingerbread flavours and creamy frosting are also a favourite for kids picnics and parties any time of year.
This recipe uses full fat cream cheese as it gives the frosting a lovely, thick creamy finish. You can use low fat versions but bear in mind you may end up with a much lighter and potentially runnier finish.
At a pinch – yes you can although butter is preferable as it gives the gingerbread cake a much richer flavour and moist cake. Also, margarine may give the cake a different texture.
Leave the butter out on the counter overnight in cooler weather. In warmer weather, allow to stand out of the fridge for at least 2-3 hours. If you forget to take the butter out, you can give it short 10 second bursts in the microwave but be very careful not to melt it.
Love a cake with Cream Cheese Icing? Try our delightful Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting or our easy to make Hummingbird Cake recipe with the sweet flavour of the tropics. We’ve even got a decadent Keto Chocolate Cake with delicious chocolate cream cheese Icing.
Gingerbread Loaf With Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter - softened, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Gingerbread Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese - full fat (softened)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter - softened, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups icing sugar - powdered confectioners sugar
- Pinch of salt
Gingerbread Loaf Directions
- Preheat oven to bake at 350 F | 178 C. Grease a 9×15" bread loaf pan with oil spray or butter and dust with flour.
- Blend the softened butter and sugar with a hand or stand mixer until it becomes light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, egg, and apple sauce and mix until well combined.
- Gradually sift in the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and baking soda) in gradual intervals beating at low speed to combine after each addition. Once you have added all the dry ingredients and they are starting to come together, mix on high for 2-3 more minutes, scraping the side of the bowl with a baking spatula as you mix.
- Pour gingerbread batter into the prepared bread loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for 55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer the baked loaf immediately to a cooling rack and let cool completely for at least one hour before topping with cream cheese icing.
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions
- While the gingerbread loaf is baking in the oven, begin preparing your frosting. Whip the softened cream cheese, softened butter, and vanilla with a hand or stand mixer on a medium-high speed for 2 minutes or until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in the icing sugar, starting at low speed moving up to high speed once all the ingredients come together. Whip on high speed until the icing becomes light and airy (approximately 3 minutes). Cover bowl with cling wrap and chill in the refrigerator until gingerbread cake is finished baking and cooled.
- When loaf is completely cool, spread the cream cheese icing evenly on your loaf. Cut into slices using a serrated knife.