We love all kinds of picnics but there is nothing more fun than a picnic for kids. Whether it’s a family picnic or kids picnic party, it’s not always easy to think of kid-friendly picnic food or games to keep kids entertained at a picnic.
You Might Also Like: Planning a family Easter picnic? We’ve got more than 60 great Easter Picnic Recipes and Ideas including fun ideas for kids.
We’ve done the homework for you and rounded up loads of picnic food ideas for kids – there are even some ideas for picnic food for toddlers. We’ve got some great DIY picnic games and activities as well as suggestions for some very helpful picnic accessories.
Simple Tips for Kids Picnics
- Stick with easy to manage finger food or single-serve containers. Foods kids can easily eat in between playing.
- Keeping food to simple snack-style spreads will also save you carting loads of gear. We give you nearly 50 kid-friendly picnic recipes below.
- Cupcakes make a great alternative to a whole cake – read out tips on Transporting Cup Cakes to get to the party in one piece.
- Pack wet wipes and extra tea towels for sticky fingers and spills.
- Freeze juice boxes to help keep food cold and have cold drinks for later in the day. We have lots of tips for keeping food cold for a picnic here.
- Pack plenty of water no matter the season.
- Take basic games to keep everyone entertained. (We give some great ideas for these below).
- Pack sun smart essentials and bug spray – again, no matter the season.
- Throw in some basic first aid essentials in case of little accidents, stings, scrapes or grazes. Antibacterial wipes, Band-Aids (plasters) etc.
- Depending on where you are picnicking, a beach umbrella or portable sunshade can be a very welcome addition.
- Do you need to consider how to keep flies and bugs away from your picnic?
Keep Your Picnic Portable
Picnic baskets are lovely but not always practical. Picnics are portable and when you have kids in tow, you need to be even more portable. Consider a picnic backpack over a basket. We reviewed the best 2 and 4 people backpacks below. Or, if you have a big group picnic planned, a collapsible wagon is a great way to transport your picnic gear without any stress.
Bring The Essential Comforts
You don’t need to bring an entire camp set up but a picnic always needs a good waterproof picnic blanket, especially with kids. Depending on where you are picnicking, you may need a table to at least lay food on. We’ve found the best waterproof picnic blankets that are practical and cosy as well as the best foldable picnic tables of all sizes.
If you want to DIY your own kid’s picnic table, we’ve got super easy downloadable plans below.
Pack Food For Convenient Serving
As with any picnic, you don’t want to lug half your kitchen with you. These are a few essentials that cut down on the extra gear to make serving your picnic food simple.
Bento boxes are one of the best picnic ideas for kids. They are perfect for individual lunch boxes because they can hold up to 4 or 5 different portion-sized dishes in different sections. They even have their own cutlery. Pack a box for each child and you can forget about additional plates and cutlery.
Or, you can opt for a few large-capacity bento-style containers for a quick and easy way to serve different dishes.
Single Serve Food Containers
If you are planning to serve salads or desserts that are not finger food-friendly, consider single-serve food containers. You can cut down on a lot of excess gear and serving issues by making single-serve salads or desserts for kids. It is also a lot easier for kids to manage a single salad container than worrying about a plate and knives and forks. Less gear, less mess.
Choose a Picnic Theme
There are loads of great kid’s picnic themes such as the classic Teddy Bears Picnic. But, you can also choose a theme that doesn’t require too much planning such as a food-oriented theme. We love the idea of a Mexican picnic because the food is easy to prepare, there are lots of finger food options which is great for kids (DIY Tacos), and you can make fun decorations and games like the DIY piñata we give you the how-to for below.
Kids Picnic Food Ideas
Kids Picnic Games
24 Piece lawn games set suitable for kids and adults includes everything you need for Potato Sack Races, 3 legged race and Egg and Spoon Race Game. It also includes 12 game prizes to reward the race winners.
A fun picnic game for kids and adults to discover the great outdoors. Included in the drawstring bag are 35 find and seek cards and instructions for three ways to play the game.